Monday, January 12, 2009

Day One: San Jose to Barstow, CA

I'm a bit late in updating, but....and to be perfectly eloquent: day one sucked donkey balls.

This weekend was pack and load on the moving truck. We had spotty help. We absolutely would not have been able to do this at all without the master logistical skills of Dave Leon (he was also the sinister minister that married us.) They should put his face on money, he rules that much.

Secondly, the weekend wouldn't have been as successful if it weren't for my best friend Jake. She watched Andrew so we could power-pack: pretty tough to do with a little one under foot.

Anyway, Sunday night, I went to Jake's house to do the one last load of laundry, since our washer and dryer was already packed on the truck. While the clothes washed and dried, we bawled our heads off. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be able to live without Jake being less than 20 miles from me, but we'll see.

Monday morning arrived and it was time to pack and load the van (no time like the last minute) do a final mop of the floors before the landlords came and more tears with Jake and Dave Leon (who both came to help us with last minute things with the house.)

Anyway, I just realized this was getting ridiculously boring. Get on with it!!!

After a few stops to say some emotional goodbyes, we stopped off at Roy's mom's grave for an even more gut-wrechingly emotional goodbye.

Finally, on the road by noon. Thre's not any pictures of our first leg. I mean....it was San Jose to Barstow.... who here hasn't made that trip 10,000 times getting to Disneyland? And if you haven't, it's basically 5 hours through California's beautiful agriculture-rich central valley. Farms, ranches, fruit stands, etc. Andrew was being remarkably good. He just entertained himself with a small basket of toys I had wedged in between the seat and his car seat. It wasn't long before it was naop time.

We got into the Quality Inn Barstow around 6pm, had a little dinner and I went down to the lobby to log on and do some work. (Somehow, with all this travelling, I'm supposed to try and get some work done. Aaaahhhhgggg!!!! I may, in fact, go insane.

Tomorrow, we finally get into the Route 66/I 40 area and start seeing some of the towns I've been reading about.

No comments: